Friday, June 6, 2008

You are not alone

When I was younger I used to have what I now refer to as a "Frodo complex." Too much classical fantasy and sci-fi reading combined with my desire to do good in the world and led me to believe that I needed to change the world...single-handedly. And the more one becomes educated with respect to oppression (and, in my opinion, with what needs to be changed about the world), the more one realizes that it's far too great a task for individual undertaking.

This realization was, needless to say, a little disappointing. But the fact is that it's not too grand a task to undertake, it's merely too grand to take on alone.

One goal of this website is to spread activist and anti-oppression information. Social change cannot be accomplished single-handedly. Only through creating a network of anti-oppression activism can we truly hope to achieve a more just society. Grass-roots activism, artistic criticism, academic inquiry, interpersonal interactions, and socially-conscious political decisions are all vital for generating change. Today, to address the last of those activisms that I mentioned, I'm going to get political.



Farheen Hakeem is a Green Party Candidate for the Minnesota State Legislature, and an incredible activist in the Minneapolis area and beyond.



I encourage anyone with the time or resources to donate to her campaign to do so. More information can be found on her website. Please check it out and encourage anyone you know in District 61B to vote for her.


There, that wasn't so bad.

No comments: